Pages

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Artist: Giuse


Giuse is an illustrator based out of the Netherlands. When you look at Giuses work you cant help but smile. Seeing an Eagle do a 360 flip or a Fox doing an impossible never gets old :]! He captures his childlike spirit and deep thought in his illustrations. Each animal shows great character and human features. Hes also working on a childrens book which I cant wait to see!! Stay posted on his site as we eagerly anticipate the future of Giuse. I had a chance to talk with Giuse and heres the man himself

BBM: Hows life treating ya?
Yeah, well you know. Sounding all serious and stuff.

BBM: What was your first major experience with art and how did you know it was for you?
My dad for sure. He would be drawing fruits in this small notebook. Being all Italian about art. I knew it was for me the moment my brother said he was better then me in drawing. Haha, we were just kids. Me being eight my brother three years older then me. I don't really remember but my father always brings this up when he tells people what I do.

BBM: Your art brings me pure joy. Seeing an eagle skateboarding! What more can you ask for?
Thanks. Well skateboarding is pretty fun. Been doing that more then 14 years now.

BBM: Why did you choose animals?
I like to combine our modern society with animals in a somewhat surrealistic way. Not necessarily making a statement about extinction or animal cruelty. It is just for you to feel the relationship between them and us.

BBM: Well we all have an animal we can relate to.
Exactly, I can relate too many. I think my favorite animal is the bear. I mean like I said, I like many.  Especially forest animals like wolfs, foxes, wildcats, bears etc. I would love to see a bear on a board.


BBM: What are some projects youre currently working on?
Working on my own children's books. I wish I could talk about it, that would make me happy. When one of my books is done I will though.
I'm still finding myself as an artist, but I'm starting to think that will go on forever. Good thing, maybe?

BBM: Three words that describe your art?
Handcrafted, colourful, peculiarly juicy.

One reason why you create art?
To out best my brother in drawing. Kidding! Nah, it's just me. I will die if I didn't.

BBM: Funniest/ most memorable carrier moment?
Most memorable was studying abroad in Boston (AIB).  I learned some traditional animation and to love and hate America. And the fact that my work goes overseas is pretty awesome.

Funniest moment, maybe the few request I got from people wanting my work as tattoo. That is so crazy that people want to carry my images on there body for ever. It's mind blowing.

BBM: Where do you find the inspiration in life?
I try a lot of things. Last night I tried jumping on the bed, but I didn't work the way it used to. But I fuel myself with almost anything, other peoples art, animations, music, nature, skating. And I have the most hilarious, crazy, talented friends whom I work with, Super Bueno, only we don't do as much as we used to.

BBM: A fact a fan may not know about you?
I do dishes to make rent.

BBM: Whats currently in heavy rotation in your record player?
The Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

BBM: What are your hobbies?
I'm thinking on taking up ceramics. Making some pots and shit.

BBM: What are some words of wisdom you would give a youth wanting to be an artist?
Wow dude slow down. I'm still young! Thirty is the new twenty and I'm not there yet. But what I can say is: learn who you are and share that. Without sharing you will lose reality.

BBM: Whats a long term carrier goal for you?
Seeing one of my books getting published and make it or see it be made into an animated movie.

BBM: Whats coming up for you in the future?
I hope my previous answer. Also these skating animals printed on T-shirts.

BBM: Where can fans find the latest news about you?
The latest news would be on:
tumblr http://djoez.tumblr.com/
flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/giuse_modica/
facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Giuse/258436750922433
But my official website is www.giuse.nl

BBM: Any last words anything you want to add?
Well people always wonder how to pronouns Giuse and that is juicy like a drink.

1 comment: