Pages

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Artist: Fintan Magee


BBM: How is life treating you?
Life is good man I have just returned from a 4-week tour around Norway and Denmark, I had a great time there just painting and absorbing my surroundings. Its nice to be back in the sunshine though.

BBM: What was the first major experience you have had with art and what made you want to be an artist?

I have been drawing all my life and both of my parents are creative people so I guess its in my blood. I don’t think many artists really decide to be artists it just kinda happens.

BBM: How did you come up with your artist name?

My parents gave it to me.

BBM: Which work of art of yours do you most associate with?
I don’t think I could narrow it down to one piece. When your producing work you try your best to put your heart into everything so I like to think all of my work is relevant to my thoughts at that particular time it was created. I do seem to associate more with work I have done in public though, there is something about producing and displaying work on the street that appeals to me.


BBM: Three words to describe your works of art.

Bold, ephemeral, developing

BBM: Where do you find inspiration in life.

I like to absorb whats around me and memory often plays and important part in my work. I find inspiration comes and goes and it can be hard to channel sometimes. I try to paint everyday so I occasionally have to force myself to make something. Waiting to be inspired can be tedious so you have to slap your self in the face sometimes and just get on with it.

BBM: What are the projects you are currently working on?

I have been asked to collaborate with some friends of mine from Indonesia for an exhibition here in Brisbane, nothing is set in stone just yet so we will see how we go. I also have a couple of group shows in Sydney that I am working on and as usual I am always searching for spots on the street to paint.

BBM: What is currently in heavy rotation on your ipod.

I lost my Ipod a couple of months ago so nothing. But I have been getting into the new El-P album, Loving the glitch producer Mimosa at the moment, the new ab-soul track with Danny Brown is fresh and of course Gangnam style has been stuck in my head for at least a week. Haha I don’t know if that’s good or bad.

BBM: Random fact about you?

My right ring finger is double jointed.

BBM: What are some words of wisdom you could give a young artist.

Put your head down and work hard, read as much as possible and never let yourself become close-minded; artists are meant to explore, not follow aesthetic or conceptual rules. They also say timing is everything but I believe if you stay focused for long enough your time will always come eventually.

BBM: Where can fans get prints or follow your work?

Facebook:
Flickr:
Instagram
@fintan_magee
Website:

BBM: Any last words or things you would like to add.

What can I say but cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment