Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Roger Craig Smith the voice of Ezio and Chris Redfield



Roger Craig Smith is a incredible voice over actor. He voices some of our favorite characters in gaming, anime, television and film. A few examples are Ezio Auditore da Firenze from Assassins creed, Chris Redfield from Resident evil, and some of the more recent Sonic the Hedgehog games. His latest work being Sonic in Wreck-it Ralph and also various voices from Regular show including the intern. That’s only to name a few! I recently had a chance to speak with the man himself and here's what he had to say...

BBM: How’s life treating ya?
Life is great, dude!  I’m a very lucky man to do what I do!  I can’t complain.  I mean, I could, I suppose. Give me a minute and I’ll think of something…

BBM: What was your first major experience with voice acting and how did you know it was for you?
My first job was doing some random character voices for a training video.  It was for dialysis machines, I believe. I knew it was for me because I loved every minute of being in the booth! AND I GOT PAID!  WHAT?!?!  

BBM: How did you get yourself noticed in the industry and set yourself apart?
I don’t think there was ever any intention to get noticed or to set myself apart from others.  The reality is there’s a lot of work for people out there and you can only be who you are and do what it is you do.  So, I just kept trying to improve what it was that I was capable of doing and kept trying to fall forward, learn from mistakes, watch what the big guys were doing, and keep at it.  There wasn’t some devious plan to wear a signature hat or wig in order to set myself apart.  Although, now that I think of it---that’s not a bad idea.  Branding…

BBM: Of all the characters you played who do you associate most with yourself?
Ha!  None of ‘em!  That’s the best part about this whole thing!  I’m about as far away from a blue hedgehog, a boulder-punching zombie-killer and a Renaissance-era Italian assassin as one could be.  I get to go in and become characters that nobody would ever take me serious for outside of the voice world (not that anyone should ever take me seriously).  It’s a blast getting to explore characters that are so vastly different from me.
 
BBM: You’re a Man of many talents what would you say your passion is?
I really like the self-competitive nature of this business.  Keeping tabs on where I’m at in my career, where I want to be and how to get there is what keeps me fired-up.  That was the same passion that kept me getting up on a comedy stage.  How can I improve upon what I did the last time and how can I be a little more demanding of myself in the future.

BBM: When taking on a new voice over role what do you to prepare?
I wish I could tell you some standard answer---but it’s different every time.  Sometimes there’s very little preparation, simply because it does no good.  The director and the client have a very specific idea in mind as to what they want for my character; if I go in prepared with something completely different, then it doesn't do anyone any good.  If I have an opportunity to discuss anything with a director or a client prior to the session, that’s the best prep I can ask for.  

BBM: What are the most rewarding and most challenging parts of being a voice over talent?
The funniest moments are far too numerous to even list!  Every day I’m in a booth is a great day.  One of the most memorable moments came when I landed my first professional gig.  That’s an awesome feeling!  The reward for this line of work IS the challenge---I’ve learned so much about myself and what I find important in life, thanks to this job.  It brings new challenges every week and the need to adapt has kept me on my toes.  It’s also awesome getting to be characters and hear yourself on TV, radio, etc!  It’s nuts!  Especially considering the fact that all I see in the mirror every day is a massive dork that lucked out in life---but then you’ll play a video game character that doesn't take crap from anyone and is way better looking than I’ll ever hope to be with untold amounts of plastic surgery.  That’s pretty rewarding.

BBM: Any Upcoming work in Assassins creed?
My lips are sealed…

BBM: What would be some advice that Ezio Auditore would give us for 2012?
My fellow Assassins---Always question those that would lead you to believe they are leaders.  Choose your own path.  Do not follow me, or anyone else.  Oh, and be sure to collect all the feathers you can in life.  It makes your mama proud. And tell Desmond to hurry up and figure out just what the heck is going on with Abstergo!   

BBM: How did you get involved with Resident Evil? How are you liking the latest title? (I can’t put it down!)
That came about like all jobs---just another audition.  As far as the latest title goes, I think the fan response says it all.

BBM: What is the most interesting part of working as a voice actor?
The ever-changing element to the day-to-day stuff. Different projects, different technologies, different clients, etc. When I first started this job, the mo-cap stuff was barely getting used in games---now, it’s practically a given that you’ll be doing some sort of mocap if you’re hired to be on a game.  The fact that we submit most auditions from home recording setups now and didn’t less than 10 years ago, etc…

BBM: What games do you enjoy playing?
FPS, for sure!  Also like anything that can be done co-op.  Life’s so much better when you can share in the experience.  Especially when you can splatter a zombie’s brains against the wall with a loved-one, right?

BBM: What are some games you’re looking forward to in the upcoming year?

ACIII, of course.  Waiting to see what else Valve Software has up their sleeves..
BBM: Console of choice?
Xbox 360 for me.
BBM: Do you have any upcoming roles in video games/ anime?

Can’t discuss most projects until they’re released…Sorry!
BBM: What’s in heavy rotation in your Ipod?
Mumford and Sons, and Cake.  Always Cake.


BBM: Besides your carrier what are some of your hobbies?I enjoy video games and mountain biking, when there’s time for either of them.

BBM: What are some words of wisdom you would give a youth wanting to do voice over?
Educate yourself and get ready to grow a strong degree of self-motivation in the face of adversity.  You will be rejected on a daily basis---but you must keep going on to the potential opportunity. The minute you think you’ve “arrived,” kiss any sort of progression beyond that moment goodbye.
Where do you find inspiration in life?
Personal growth.  Challenging myself to see if I can work toward being a better me and not screwing up.  I hate regret.  I also find inspiration in sugary coffee drinks. Those really help inspire me, a lot.  Way too much, in fact. Gotta cut back.
BBM: What’s coming up for you in the future?Any Last words anything you
want to add?
Lots of projects always on the horizon (knocks on wood) and you can witness my shameless self-promotion on Facebook or Twitter (facebook.com/rogercraigsmith or @rogercraigsmith).  I consider myself so fortunate to have played the roles I’ve played and worked the gigs I’ve worked. The fact that anyone would want to ask me questions about my work is flattering and baffling all at the same time.  I appreciate all the support from fans of the franchises I’ve been lucky enough to be part of---and keep on gaming!





No comments:

Post a Comment