Pages

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Artist: Erica Luke






Erica Luke is a very talented individual from the UK. she's an exceptional artist, photographer, and stop motion creator. Her latest stop motion project ROT has taken the world by storm. It's brilliant!! you can see the film at the bottom of the interview so make sure to  check it out and show her some support! One thing is for sure about Erica. She has a very bright future ahead of her and I can't wait to see what she comes up with next. I recently had a chance to talk to Erica and here's the woman herself...












BBM: How’s life treating ya?
Very well thank you! The overwhelming response to Rot has been really encouraging.



BBM: What was your first major experience with art and how did you know it was for you?

I’m not sure if I remember a first major art experience. I’ve always been doodling and mucking around with paper and bits and bobs. When I was about 7, while my mum was working, I would go to an after-school club every day in a big building with lots of facilities – a gym, a playroom, a music room, an art room. When my mum came to pick me up, the staff there always knew they would find me in the art room. It’s not a major experience as such but the stuff I did there probably is my first memory of doing something arty. In hindsight, I think I only went to that after-school club for a year, but the evenings spent in the art room take up quite a lot of my early memories. Later, it also became quite clear that I was not much good at anything else!


BBM: Lets start with your latest project Rot - tell our readers a little about it.

It was a project that I had in mind for a while – I had seen a couple of cool facepaint stop-motions but not many with a ‘narrative’ as such so it was more of an experiment, or a test, to see what I could do with the technique.


BBM: How long did it take to complete Rot?

The shoot actually didn’t take as long as you might think – it helped that my sister was the subject so I felt that I could take my time! I think we did it in a long afternoon. But this was last year! I didn’t get myself sorted with a soundtrack and grading for a really long time, partly due to the fact that I have a full time job but mostly because I am lazy.


BBM: Before starting a motion project what are some steps you take before creation?

I think it always helps to have a storyboard, however rough it may be,  as then you get a better visual idea in your head of what the film might turn out like, and the shoot becomes a smoother process.


BBM: The most difficult aspect of motion creation?

Probably the stress of shooting – I like all the preparation and organizing beforehand, but it’s such a horrible feeling when you know there are so many things that could go wrong and you’re just holding you breath and waiting for something bad to happen. That’s why I prefer to work alone on small projects, so the only person I’m in danger of disappointing is myself! And I’m pretty forgiving so that’s ok.


BBM: Three words that describe your art?

Child-like,  playful, organic…?


BBM: You’re a woman of many talents; which would you say is your passion and why?

It’s really hard for me to choose. It seems artists are always encouraged to stick to one way of working, and the jack-of-all-trades approach is frowned upon. I can understand why I suppose, as the body of work you create would be more streamlined and recognizable. There is also the ‘...master of none’ problem as well. But the advantage is that all the mediums can inform the others, and also I just don’t think you need to limit yourself to suit other people’s pre-conceptions. Anyway, to answer your question, at this very moment I’m concentrating on illustration as that’s what I feel like doing!


BBM: Funniest/ Most Memorable career moment?

To be honest I’m just starting, so, even though it was only last week, I would have to say getting so many views of Rot!


BBM: Where do you find inspiration in life?

Mainly through my job. I’m a senior researcher at The Reel (http://www.thereel.net/), a website that showcases creative advertising, virals, branded content, music videos, short films, experimental films and fashion films… basically anything moving image and short form! Part of my work is to scour the internet, looking for content for us to feature. I come across so much inspiring work, not just moving image as I check a lot of arts/culture/technology blogs and websites as well.


BBM: A fact a fan may not know about you?

I have one Japanese eye and one English eye.


BBM: Whats currently in heavy rotation in your Ipod?

My earphones broke about a month ago so I haven’t really been listening to much recently! But before that I constantly listened to 2 albums - FOE’s ‘Bad Dream Hotline’ and Friends’ ‘Manifest!’. I quite like the neatness of the two as a pair; the fact that they sit side by side on my artists list, and that their names are opposites.


BBM: What are some words of wisdom you would give a youth wanting to be an artist?

Oh no, here come the cheesy lines… Carefully consider other people’s suggestions but ultimately follow your heart and do what you feel like doing.


BBM: Where can fans find the latest news about your work?

At my blog (which I promise to keep updating!!) - http://salutmrmagpie.tumblr.com/


BBM: Any last words anything you want to add?
Thanks to my sister Shion for being patient, my friend Luke for making Rot look nice, my boyfriend Matthew for making Rot sound nice and my friend and boss Jamie Madge for his skill in spreading the word and getting Rot seen!






No comments:

Post a Comment