Pages

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Creepshow


The Creepshow is a Psychobilly band from Burlington, Ontario, Canada. I have been a fan of the group since its birth in 2005. They've brought me a lot of joy and memories over the years. Many influences can be heard and for good reason each member has a different and diverse background. It all combines to make a very infectious sound. One thing is for sure The Creepshow is more than just a Psychobilly band. I feel this will be the next band to put Psychobilly on the map in a big way. I’m eagerly anticipating the new album and can’t wait to see them live. If you’re not familiar with Psychobilly The Creepshow is a great Jumping in Point.  I had a chance to speak with Reverend Mcginty and here’s the man himself…



BBM: What’s your name and what do you do for the band?
I'm the Reverend McGinty, and I play the organ.

BBM: How did you first get into Psychobilly  and what inspired you to start a band?
I had been listening to a few Psycho bands but I didn't even know there was a name for what they were doing, I just thought it was punk rock with an upright bass! A few other friends of mine were into it too and were doing the scene so we thought we'd have a little fun and see what happened. We never thought we'd come as far as we have.

BBM: Give me a little history on the group when did you form and how did you come up with the name?
We recorded a two song demo in mid-2005 and played our first shows around Halloween that year. The response we go was great, so we wrote an album and started touring Canada. I wish there was a better story about the name,...but we really just thought it was cool. That's it! Haha! I didn't even like it at first, but it really grew on me.

BBM: Tell us about the new album your working on?
We've got a LOT of old and new material to work with so we're excited to give the fans a taste of our vintage vibe as well as giving them a new twist on things. Our new singer Kenda has already written a song that's PERFECT for our sound, so I'm really excited.

BBM: When can we expect it?
We hope to have it out by May or June of 2013,...assuming we don't get stopped by the apocalypse in December,...so fingers crossed!

BBM: How would you say the sound has changed from when the band first started?
I'd say very subtly,...we always want to do new things and not become stagnant in our sound but I think on the whole we've managed not to piss off our fans by getting too experimental. We always sound like us, but I haven't got bored yet!

BBM: If you could change one thing about the album what would it be?
As with every album, we recorded the last one in a short amount of time because we were so busy touring. When you write and record songs so fast it's hard to cram everything in that it needs before it has to be done. So there's a lot of moments of "Shit, I wish I'd put something in there", or "Ugh, that could've been cooler with a different riff". But I'm still proud of all of our work, so I can't really complain.

BBM: Where do you find inspiration from life?
EVERYWHERE! Hahaha! Especially since we've toured so much, it's hard not to come up with great stories. We've met so many great people and played with so many great bands. We've been really lucky: I wrote the lyrics to Rue Morgue Radio in a Bed and Breakfast in small-town Germany. It was the perfect spot to be on my own to inspire that kind of song.

BBM: Three words that describe the band?
Entertaining, adorable,...mysterious!

BBM: Funniest Touring Moment?
How dare you make me pick?! Haha! Well, on our current tour across Canada someone from the opening band who I won't name (Reggie from the Fundamentals) got really drunk and decided to run across the stage and jump off the front to crowd surf,...BUT managed instead to crash into the drum set and completely dismantle it! Amazing.

BBM: Any plans to come to the lone star state (tx)
Of COURSE, my friend! It's been too long, I miss Texas BBQ! We've made a LOT of friends in your state, and our fans there are some of the best. And as Canadians we've really been impressed by your southern hospitality. As soon as the new album's done hold onto your hats!,...we're heading south of the border! Well, OUR border, that is.

BBM: How’s the scene in Canada?
The scene in Canada is amazing! We toured Canada twice before we ever came to the U.S. or Europe. The fans here have made us what we are today, and have given us a strength to go to other countries and show them what Canadian music is all about!

BBM: The Creepshow have been around for 7 years now how would you say the scene is different compared to first starting?
We've started to get a much wider collection of fans. Our first shows were all attended by Rockabillies and Psychobillies, but now we have a whole new group to join them of punk rockers, mods and emo kids. It's nice to see such a different array of people all in one venue.

BBM: A fact that fans don’t know about you?
I can eat my weight in Poutine (a French-Canadian delicacy) and can lift two of my band mates off the ground at once.

BBM: What are some words of wisdom you would give a youth who wants to start a Psychobilly band?
Listen to as many different song writers that you can get your ears on! If you can't write decent songs, no one is going to care how fast you can slap your bass.

BBM: What’s coming up for the band in the future?
Before we record the new album, it looks like we're going to South Africa for a few shows, and then opening for NOFX in Montréal on new years eve. After we record the album, we're going to hit the road across Canada, the U.S. and Europe. So get ready!

BBM: Where can someone pick up the latest album and merch?
Go to: unionlabelgroup.com, or interpunk.com

BBM: Any last words anything you want to add?
Don't mess with Texas. Seriously, don't.

BBM: On a side note I just wanted to say I’ve been a fan since the band
formed and am glad to see so much success for the band! Thank you for
the interview.

Well thank you, and thank you! It's been fun. See you soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment